A Warehouse Management System (WMS) is a software that helps distribution centers manage and control their daily warehouse operations, from the moment goods and materials enter a distribution or fulfillment center until they leave.
Currently there are several solutions being tabled in the SYSPRO marketplace that portray to be WMS software solutions, yet they are simply data collection tools that make use of barcodes.
A Data Collection system primarily extends the functionality of your standard SYSPRO software to the operational floor, enabling the collection and transmission of data back to SYSPRO through the SYSPRO e.net business object layer. These systems typically lack extensive logic and serve as reactive tools, collecting and processing data to and from SYSPRO. They find their place in small companies with limited inventory movements.
On the other hand, a WMS goes beyond mere data collection and actively DRIVES the operations of your business.
Here are some essential features that characterize a robust WMS:
- Control of Inventory at a License Plate Level (LPN or TrackID Level): A WMS enables precise control over inventory by tracking it at a granular level. Each item (Inventory) is associated with a unique identifier, such as a License Plate Number (LPN) or TrackID, facilitating accurate inventory management.
- Reservation of Inventory for Sales Orders, Jobs, and Replenishments: A WMS empowers businesses to reserve inventory for specific purposes like fulfilling sales orders, executing jobs, or managing replenishments. This ensures that inventory is allocated in such a way as to drive efficiency in the operation, minimizing errors and delays.
- Task Assignment to Warehouse Staff: A WMS plays a pivotal role in optimizing warehouse operations by assigning tasks to warehouse staff. Whether it’s put away, replenishment, picking, packing, checking, or other operational activities, the WMS streamlines task allocation, enhancing overall efficiency. Our new Directed Task Management module, scheduled for release in Q3 2023, will revolutionize task management by centralizing all work tasks from the current WMS modules into a single queue table. This streamlined approach eliminates the need for warehouse operators to navigate multiple screens, ensuring a seamless and efficient workflow.
- Real-time Transaction Processing: In a high-volume operational environment with tens of thousands of movements per day, a WMS is indispensable. It processes all transactions into SYSPRO on a live basis, eliminating the need for batch uploading of data. This real-time integration ensures accurate and up-to-date information, supporting informed decision-making.
- Seamless Integration with SYSPRO: A true WMS directly interfaces with SYSPRO’s data, forming a cohesive and unified system. The integration between the WMS and SYSPRO enables seamless data flow, enabling both systems to work in tandem, maximizing operational effectiveness.
By leveraging the comprehensive capabilities of a genuine WMS, businesses can take control of their warehouse operations, streamline processes, minimize errors, and enhance overall productivity.
Contact us today to learn more – www.datascopewms.com